Strawberry and Goat Cheese GalettePosted: April 19, 2011
This past weekend I was sick and since I was going stir crazy I decided to get my bake on. Although desserts are (usually) a meatless affair, I thought this recipe was wonderful enough to share. An added bonus is that the crust is vegan (and super simple), so if you take out the goat cheese you’d have a delicious vegan strawberry galette. I also came up with several other delicious recipes over the weekend, so keep checking back this week for more recipes.
Before you begin this recipe, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Vegetable Shortening (Crisco)
1/4 cup Cold Water
1) Add the flour to a medium mixing bowl and cut in the vegetable shortening with a knife or fork. Continue to cut in the shortening until the mixture looks like crumbs.
2) Add in the water and stir until well combined. Roll the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap. Put in the refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 20 minutes.
1-2 lbs Fresh Strawberries
2 oz Soft Goat Cheese
2 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Cornstarch
1) Slice strawberries into thin slices (about 4 slices per strawberry). Mix all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
1/4 cup Slivered Almonds
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Butter or Butter Substitute, Melted
1) Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl making sure it is all coming together in a crumble form. Add more melted butter and brown sugar as needed.
Putting it All Together
1) After the dough has refrigerated for at least 20 minutes, roll it out into an 11″ circle and place into a 9″ pie pan. Cover the bottom of the crust with the strawberry and cheese mixture. Spread the mixture evenly and then top it with the almond crumble.
2) Fold the edges of the dough just a barely over the outside edges of the filling. Put the pie into the oven and bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned.
This recipe yields approximately 8 servings at around 250 calories per serving.