Grilled Mustard TempehPosted: March 22, 2011
Last night I made the tempeh I bought at Trader Joe’s and it exceeded my expectations. This recipe is super simple and it takes very little time to prepare/cook. The trick with the tempeh is to boil it first so that it softens up a bit and can better absorb the marinade. Since it is marinated, be sure to start the recipe at least 1 1/2 hours before you want to eat.
8 oz package of Tempeh
3/4 cup of Vegetable Broth
2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
2 tbsp. Spicy Brown Mustard (Dijon mustard can be used instead)
1 tsp. Sriracha (Asian hot sauce)
2 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. Olive Oil (for the grill)
1) Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
2) Whisk all of the marinade ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
3) Cut the tempeh in half, width-wise, and then cut the 2 squares diagonally to create 4 triangles.
4) When the water comes to a boil, add in the tempeh and then reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Place the tempeh directly into the marinade. Coat both sides of the tempeh and cover the bowl. Let marinate for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
6) Heat a grill pan on the stove on medium heat (you can also use an indoor electric grill or outdoor grill) and brush or spray the olive oil onto the grill to keep the tempeh from sticking.
7) Place the tempeh onto the grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side. When the second side is nearly done, drizzle some of the marinade over the top of each piece and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Serve warm!
This recipe makes two servings (240 calories per serving) and goes great with any rice or pasta side dish. Add some veggies to your plate for a well-rounded meal that will leave you feeling full!