Low-Cal Black Bean TacosPosted: February 13, 2011
Black bean tacos are a fun dinner option for nights when you don’t have much time to cook. These low-calorie tacos use homemade corn tortillas, which can be tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it they are a delicious replacement for flour tortillas. The homemade corn tortillas are a bit smaller and more brittle than a flour tortilla, so these tacos actually end up more like tostadas, with the tortilla laying flat, than traditional tacos, but they are delicious nonetheless.
1 cup Maseca corn flour
2/3 cup Water
1/8 tsp Salt
1) Mix Maseca, water, and salt together in a medium mixing bowl until the ingredients form a soft dough. If the dough feels dry, add extra water, 1 tbsp. at a time.
2) Roll the dough into 8 equal size balls. Place two sheets of heavy plastic wrap on a tortilla press and press out 8 tortillas. If you do not have a tortilla press, put the ball between two sheets of plastic wrap and roll them out with a rolling pin to approximately 6″ diameter.
3) Warm a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Place the tortillas into the warm skillet, one at a time, and cook for 50 seconds on each side.
4) Place tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp cloth to keep them from drying out.
Other Taco Ingredients:
1 Roma Tomato, diced
1 can Vegetarian Refried Beans
1 can Black Beans, drained
1 tbsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Salt
Hot Sauce or Taco Sauce
1) While cooking the tortillas, warm the refried beans for approximately 2 minutes.
2) Put the black beans in a medium saucepan and add the chili powder and garlic salt. Warm beans through on medium heat.
3) Assemble the tacos. Use the tortilla as a base and then add a layer of refried beans and then a layer of black beans.
4) Top with tomatoes, sour cream, and taco sauce or hot sauce. You can add any additional toppings you’d like here such as onions and green peppers.
Recipe yields 8 tacos which serves about 3-4 people.
This recipe is low-cal compared to regular tacos because of the corn tortilla. The corn tortilla has about 52 calories in it compared to 94 in a 6″ flour tortilla.