Buffalo Black Bean Sliders RecipePosted: February 5, 2011
With the Super Bowl happening in just a little more than 24 hours, I wanted to share the recipe for my main dish during tomorrow’s festivities. These sliders are perfect for a main dish during a party because they are quick to prepare and they are easy for your guests to eat. I top these sliders with a buffalo sauce and blue cheese for a taste that’s reminiscent of buffalo wings, however, you can top these bad boys in whatever way you’d like – the black bean burger base is perfect for any type of accompaniments you are partial to.
1 15oz can of Black Beans
1 4 oz can of Chopped Green Chilies
1 cup of Plain Dry Breadcrumbs
1 large Egg, beaten (for vegan version substitute egg with 1/4 cup Wheat Gluten)
1 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Salt
1 tsp. Onion Salt
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup of Yellow Cornmeal
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
12 mini Slider Buns
1 cup Blue Cheese
1. Place the beans in a food processor. Process the beans until they are slightly mashed but not smooth.
2. Mix the beans, green chilies, bread crumbs, egg, chili powder, onion salt, garlic salt, and salt and pepper together in a medium size bowl.
3. Shape the mixture into 12 equal patties, they should be small enough to fit on your slider buns. Each patty should be around 1/2″ thick.
4. Coat each patty in cornmeal.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once oil is hot, place the patties in the skillet – 6 at a time – and cook for 5-8 minutes. Patties should be slightly browned on each side and warm throughout.
Buffalo Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
1/3 cup Hot Sauce (Franks or Tabasco will work)
1/3 cup Ketchup
1 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp Vinegar
Buffalo Sauce Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Putting it all together:
1. Place the burgers on the slider buns (for even better taste, toast the buns in the over at 350 degrees for 3-5 minutes first).
2. Top the burger with the desired amount of buffalo sauce and sprinkle blue cheese crumbles on top.
3. Add any additional toppings you’d like: lettuce, tomato, onion, etc.
4. Serve warm and enjoy!